Paired Passages Paired Texts | Compare and Contrast | Local Government
Do your students need help integrating information from two texts on the same topic? These nonfiction passages and reading comprehension activities on local government include paired passages (or paired texts) that will help your students compare and contrast passages with a similar theme and topic.
This PRINT & DIGITAL mini-unit on local government integrates social studies with reading and includes 12 fun and engaging pages of activities perfect for 3rd and 4th grade. It is guaranteed to increase engagement while sparking interest and learning!
⭐ Check out the preview to see more!
In this assignment, students will compare and contrast details in paired texts as they learn about how local governments are organized, the important jobs within local governments, and how local governments keep cities safe and running smoothly.
In this download, you will get:
- a teacher’s guide and notes
- 2 nonfiction passages about animal adaptations
- 2 vocabulary practice activities
- vocabulary picture cards with definitions (perfect for pocket charts and centers)
- 2 different compare and contrast graphic organizers
- reading comprehension questions (multiple choice and open-ended)
- written comprehension activity
- a Google digital version
- all answer keys
⭐ A complete lesson of this resource is included in Google Slides with a multiple-choice, automatically graded reading comprehension quiz in Google Forms. Points have already been assigned to the quiz, but you can easily adjust them to fit your needs. All directions are included for how to assign this resource to your students digitally.
Your students will:
- analyze 2 nonfiction passages on the same topic
- demonstrate understanding of vocabulary found in the texts
- find common details about each text
- determine which details in both texts are important
- compare the details in the texts to find which are different
- combine the information from both texts to meet the purpose for writing or speaking
These activities are perfect for:
- literacy centers
- small groups
- independent desk work
- early finishers
- sub plans
Teachers like you said…
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ This resource is so helpful to tie in social studies standards with ELA. I like the text-dependent questions and the focus on vocabulary. – Jessica P.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Glad to find something that would go with our SS lesson while also incorporating some reading standards. Especially with state testing coming up. Great resource, thank you! – Butterfly Learning
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ The real-life photos help enhance to content in the passages as opposed to cute graphics. The paired passages were great for my sped students to easily find answers and information, read aloud, and work on independently. – Tammy W.
In this one convenient resource, you can…
- have ready-to-go reading comprehension activities that integrate social studies with reading and ELA to maximize your time.
- use these pre-made, paired passages and reading comprehension activities as sub plans when you need to take a day (or week) off!
- easily teach or assess student understanding by using multiple-choice questions that cover a variety of standards.
- print and go or assign digitally – includes everything you need to teach, review, or assess paired passages (or paired texts) anytime during the year!
⭐Bundle and save for a discount!⭐
Purchase the Paired Passages and Paired Texts Reading Comprehension Bundle for Grades 3-4 to get that will help your students compare and contrast passages with a similar theme and topic. Get 20% off by purchasing the bundle!
Supports Common Core Standards (CCSS):
Products Included in This Bundle:
Add to WishlistAdd to Wishlist
Add to WishlistAdd to Wishlist