Teaching Theme with Poetry Finding Theme in Poems Worksheets Identifying Theme
Do your students struggle to identify the theme of a poem? In this resource, students will be required to analyze poems by answering questions about the poem’s theme, topic, setting, character’s actions, and how the speaker in a poem reflects on a topic. In the end, they will be directed to summarize the poem.
Products Included in This Bundle:
Do your students struggle to identify the theme of a poem? In this resource, students will be required to analyze poems by answering questions about the poem’s theme, topic, setting, character’s actions, and how the speaker in a poem reflects on a topic. In the end, they will be directed to summarize the poem. These theme activities were created to be used as for finding the themes in poetry.
Themes found in poetry are not always black and white. Some answers will vary throughout these activities. I’ve included detailed answer keys to make it easier for you to discuss the questions with your students.
Included in this download:
- Common Themes in Literature (Reference Chart)
- Common Topics in Literature (Reference Chart)
- Theme Practice #1: Poem – All Grown Up
- Theme Practice #2: Poem – Brave Below
- Theme Practice #3: Poem – Pavement Dreams
- TpT Easel Activity Digital Option
- Answer Keys
Each engaging short story includes:
- a student guide for finding the theme and topic
- 16-18 multiple-choice and open-ended questions assessing reading comprehension, theme, actions of the characters, and the speaker’s reflections
- a student guide for summarizing the poem
These activities are perfect for:
- whole group lessons
- independent desk work
- small groups
- literacy centers
- morning work
- early finishers
- sub plans, and so much more!
The best part?
Your students will quickly learn how to describe in-depth the theme, topic, setting, character’s actions, and how the speaker in the poem reflects on a topic as they draw on specific details in each poem. They will get right to work identifying key details from the poems to determine the central ideas or themes found in each poem.
⭐Help your students learn how to determine the theme of a poem and summarize the text using high-interest and engaging reading activities!
In this one convenient resource, you can…
- have ready-to-go activities that will help your students master finding the theme of a poem.
- use these pre-made theme activities as sub plans when you need to take a day (or week) off!
- print and go – includes everything you need to teach THEME anytime during the year!
Note: Detailed answer keys have been added to make it easier for you to discuss the questions with your students. To complete these activities, your students should have a basic understanding of themes and topics found in literature.
⭐⭐If you’re just now starting to teach themes to your students, you might want to begin with Teaching Theme with Aesop’s Fables. Using fables seems to help students identify themes a little easier! This resource is an excellent introduction to themes and topics.
Supports Common Core Standards (CCSS)
RL.3.2, RL.3.3, W.3.3
RL.4.2, RL.4.3, W.4.3
RL.5.2, RL.5.3, W.5.3