This fun figurative language activity will help your student grasp the concept and understanding of idioms, adages, and proverbs. Each card includes context clues that assist students in describing the meaning behind each idiom, proverb, and adage. The answer recording sheet makes it easy for students to keep track of the cards they’ve completed. This figurative language activity is always a lot of fun for students and can be used as a review or an assessment tool.
- partner activities
- small groups
- early finishers
- reading centers
- whole group Scoot game
Included in download:
- Classroom Poster Set – includes definitions and examples of idioms, adages, and proverbs
- 32 task cards
- Answer Recording Sheet
- Answer Key
Students will be required to:
- identify the definition of an idiom, adage, and proverb (multiple choice)
- determine the meaning of an idiom, adage, and proverb (multiple choice)
- describe the meaning of an idiom, adage, and proverb (open-ended)
- find popular idioms, proverbs, or adages to write a sentence with and describe its meaning (research skills)
Easily differentiate by picking and choosing a certain number of cards or use them all!
This product is aligned to L.4.5b and L.5.5b.
Teaching Tip: Laminate task cards for durability and to use year after year.
Looking for more practice on Idioms, Proverbs, and Adages? These practice worksheets complement this task card activity and can be used anytime during the year!